Friday, November 12, 2010

Halloween cookies

*WARNING* this post has nothing to do with pugs, just their mama

In a burst of baking energy a couple of weeks ago, I decided to roll out and bake me up some holiday-themed sugar cookies for Halloween.


WHAT WAS I THINKING. Whatever sickass individual decided to perpetuate the idea that sugar-cookies-are-so-easy-even-a-child-can-do-it has clearly never spent a significant amount of time actually baking them. You gotta make the dough, chill it, roll it out without tearing it, chill it, cut out cute little shapes with sharp, knife-like, cookie cutters without dripping blood on it, chill it yet again, bake it, and then decorate the damn things.


The following was my trying to paint a design onto a frosted cookie. It's a black cat against a starry sky. Obvy.


The following was my effort, after multiple failed attempts to decorate the cookies, and after prolonged cursing, just going jackson pollock on the orbs of despair.


I did manage to put out some that featured designs a bit more festive than bat barf. This particular tray, however, took me close to an hour.


The pugs were super interested while I was flinging flour and colored sugar around the kitchen, not so much while I was sweating and cursing over frosting. Except for Sasha. This is a pic I posted a few days ago -- note the dollop of royal icing on her head -- which I didn't even notice at the time. Our vet actually pointed it out the next day. Embarrassing.



2 comments:

  1. heehee this made me giggle. bat barf. nice cat. but that last batch turned out really great, and the skull cookies are so festive! looks like sasha benefited the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also left out the part about the pugs eating some of the cookies.

    ReplyDelete